Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Storms of Worry

It never ceases to amaze me how fast a storm can roll in. This last Sunday we had a haboob roll through the TriCities. First off, I had no idea what a haboob was until this storm rolled in. I don't even know how to pronounce that word without laughing. Is it "Ha-Boob" or "Ha-Bob" with a silent extra "o"? I don't know. I get stuck on the first one and start laughing. Anyway, it was I.N.S.A.N.E. The hubby and I were getting packed up to head to our couples bible study and he goes..."I think we need to bring the animals in. Look at that cloud." As I looked up towards the foothills behind our house I watched as this cloud overtook the houses on the hill. They just disappeared from sight. As I rushed around bringing the dogs into the house and getting the horses into the corral, the lightening started in. Glancing back, I felt like running because the houses only 500 yards away just on the other side of the freeway, were now completely out of sight. Lightning was striking very close, thunder was cracking and huge rain drops were starting to fall as I hopped back into the drivers seat of our car. About 60 seconds later, the cloud hit our house. We watched in amazement as we were overtaken by the dust cloud. Looking towards our neighbors house we could hardly make out their shop just 50 yards away. I put the car in gear and began driving. It was 6:15 at night and the sun had not set yet, but it was so dark it felt like 9:00. As we were driving the street lamps around us turned on to compensate for the darkness. At a stop light I realized that I was really nervous. More than nervous. I was scared. My palms were sweating, and I had been holding onto the steering wheel so tight that my knuckles were white. That's when I began praying. 

As I released my fear up to God, he filled my heart back up with peace and calmness. One of my favorite verses came to mind, "You will keep the mind that is dependent on You in perfect peace, for it is trusting in You." (Isaiah 26:3)  It was instantaneous. I still had no idea what would happen as the storm progressed, but His peace told me it would be ok. In fact the evening turned out to be really fun. When we arrived to bible study the lights were out in the house. The door was flung open by a very excited son of another couple. He goes "Come On In! We're having a PARTY!". He had been completely unfazed by the storm. Their power had been knocked out and we had to do bible study in the dark. While the storm was intense, God's peace was even stronger. I was reminded yet again of God's promises to me. He is my refuge and my fortress. Psalm 91:1-2 "He who dwells in the shelter of the most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "You are  my refuge and my fortress, My God in whom I trust.". 

Overcoming my fear is fairly new to me. God has really been working on my heart these last 3-4 years (yes, I said years) on letting Him heal my heart from a life long struggle with anxiety and worry. As I was working through my 90 Day's with Jesus  study this week, I was reminded yet again that we really are not supposed to live with fear and worry in our hearts. When we allow fear, worry and anxiety to dwell in our hearts and minds we take our eyes off of the vertical focus on our Heavenly Father who can accomplish all things, and turn them the horizontal focus of our own life and power which cannot accomplish all things. 

Matthew 6:25-34 says: "This is why I tell you: Don’t worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the sky: They don’t sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you worth more than they? Can any of you add a single cubit to his height by worrying? And why do you worry about clothes? Learn how the wildflowers of the field grow: they don’t labor or spin thread. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was adorned like one of these! If that’s how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and thrown into the furnace tomorrow, won’t He do much more for you—you of little faith? So don’t worry, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ For the idolaters eagerly seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you. Therefore don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

It is literally a command of Jesus to us to NOT WORRY. Therefore, when we do worry we are breaking a command of His. As I strive to grow closer to God, I work extra hard to not break his commands. How do we not worry though? The main way I battle against worry is through hiding God's word on my heart. When worry hits, having scripture memorized is the best way to be reminded that God is greater than our earthly fears. Psalm 91:1-2, Joshua 1:9, Nehemiah 4:14, Isaiah 26:3, Matthew 6:25 are all scriptures I have hidden on my heart. If memorizing scriptures have always seemed difficult to you, then I encourage you to try again. DO NOT GIVE UP. The truth is, we can easily remember catchy songs, movie lines and famous quotes, yet we struggle with memorizing key scriptures which free us from the burdens of this world. Pick a verse, big or small and hide it in your heart this week. God's word is living, and true and healing. I pray that you let it set you free from a heavy burden this week as well. 

Comment or message me with what verse you are going to memorize :) I am going to add Isaiah 41:10 to my arsenal: "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

Blessings Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. john 20:29 Then Jesus told him, "You belive because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me." I know that just because i have not seen Him i have faith in Him. He has always been there for me. As some of you know I have been through some major surgery and He let me know that all was going to be alright. You just have to have a little bit of faith. He also gave me one of the most awsome familey to take care of me. I often think of people who have no familey or faith and how lonely they must be.

    Storms still make me edgey but i start to think that it is him bringing what we need rain. He can start the storm and He will protects us while it is here, and He will quite the storm also.

    Thank You God for being there with my familey and Helping them throught it and for keeping them save.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I love hearing from my readers!